The other item comes from io9, and is simply a collection of highly stylized sci-fi movie posters that have almost a Soviet-era design, look and feel to them. You know all the movies, but you haven’t seen posters like this before. the look actually reminds me of some of the amazing design items at iso50.
They don’t seem to get along. I want all motorsport posts to automatically apperar on the motorsport page. That could happen if the motorsport page was not a ‘Page’. Thins being the way they are now, what I really need is to put the pull down on the main page and that will automatically generate an archive page that has the content I desire. Let’s try that.
‘Now we’re getting somewhere’
The music page has turned into a zone of experimentation. I’ve kept the header, but chucked the template. I had hoped to steal a template that would work for what I wanted to do (music player and links to categories), but nothing really worked. So, I found a widget (neon sign!) to do my dirty work. Code is poetry, but prewritten code is easy. It’s sort of funny that all the links and text, as well as widgets, all go in the snarfer.php template. It’s not really a template if it has all the content, is it?
I’m sort of fascinated that the Pages don’t lend themselves to blog entries. For example, I will do some law bloggin here and I want to attach a brief I wrote recently on an esoteric technicality in NJ Auto law. I would think there would be a possibility of having a companion or child blog under the main blog. Without having gone on an exhaustive search, it seems that all the blogging needs to be done right here. And then I’ll link to other stuff at a ‘Law’ page, like a pdf of that brief, for example.
I think that should close the book on favicons for the moment – what an epic. It didn’t help that one of the instruction dox was out of date, but that’s OK – everything is working fine now and I’ve got my little ‘Mp’ up in the corner.
The next task is to get the ‘Pages’ for music and video to look a bit different and to embed the mp3 player in a permanent position, as opposed to simply putting it in a post.
How long did that take?!? How about almost two days! And I don’t even like it. But at least I now know how to do it. Sheesh!
The more I looked, the more I realized that I needed a conservative and straightforward look to deal with this site’s architecture. I swapped the banner for a fractal I sound about five years ago – and then ded some really amature-ish effects to the corner so you could still see my page title. You still can’t see the title very well – and that’s on every wordpress page until I change/fix. Also, although I like the fractal, it doesn’t go with the colors and look of the rest of the template. For now, I don’t care. It’s more important to have a shape I can work with. If I’m feeling ambitious, I’ll see if I can learn enough php and/or css to simply change some colors. I’d also like the titles to be sans serif also. Bottom line, it’s not perfect, but it’ll do for now. The tinkering continues.